Case Study: Samsung
THE CHALLENGE:Performing product analytics on millions of Samsung Galaxy Smartphone devices worldwide while ensuring personal private information stays protected.
THE DATAGUISE SOLUTION:DgSecure for Hadoop automatically detects consumer privacy data and encrypts it before hitting the cloud in seven Amazon AWS clusters globally.
- On-the-fly Flume protection
- Locking only names, device IDs
- Non-blocking to analytics deployments
- Drop-in solution (no coding required)
- Functions across AWS EMR, S3, Hortonworks, Pivotal HD, files
- High availability (<1min recovery)
Global Leader in Product AnalyticsSamsung has been analyzing and improving mobile and smart TV products through product analytics for decades. During that period, the company has employed a number of different tools, approaches, data repositories, data capture, and data storage locations. To improve product performance, reliability, feature adoption and ease of use, Samsung has captured realms of device-specific data, including the location, hardware specifications, utilization rates, capacity, and battery life. Hadoop makes the processing, collection, analytics of this data faster and move cost-effective for Samsung.
The Changing LandscapeAs a global manufacturer with products in all markets and territories, Samsung must adequately protect any sensitive data from device logs and data capture. Specifically, in Europe, new privacy policies defined in the European Union Privacy Directive require Samsung to protect any personal identifiable information specific to European citizens. Samsung still needed to collect device data for analytics, but was mindful of privacy laws, and privacy fines levied on competitors that did not fully comply with privacy mandates.
Big Data Protection Goals
- Aggregate logging data (product, usage, user configuration) for all smartphones worldwide.
- De-identify personal user information to ensure privacy and compliance with European/US privacy mandates.
- Keep all sensitive data encrypted at-rest, and provide authorized access (decryption) of sensitive data on a case-by-case basis for analytics applications that require access to full, complete, plaintext data.
- Dataguise Flume agent protects all sensitive data written to Amazon S3.
- Samsung runs Dataguise in AWS, using Dataguise EMR security agents to selectively decrypt for authorized analytics in AWS.
- The company achieves On-demand Hadoop for product analytics, user behavior, supply chain optimization in a high scale-out, high performance and high availability system.
- 100% cloud-based.